Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Gillian Kenyon, Sep 15 2010 2:11PM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

Medical Training

Does anyone know of any courses that include medical training as part of the Complementary Therapy training.

It appears that GP's are bound by their Hippocratic Oath (and consequently insurance) NOT to refer to anyone who is NOT medically trained.

If GP's are controlling the NHS budgets from 2012, as per government proposals, does that mean all Therapy courses will need to have some medical qualification in themn too or else the therapist will definately not be able to receive referrals from budget holders ie GP's?.
Julie Munnings
Sep 15 2010 3:59PM
What does being "medically trained" actually mean? I know this might sound a bit daft but in light of the indepth anatomy and physiology training that we receive as therapists and our regular first aid updates I am unsure what more we would need to incorporate to fit the criteria. Very interesting issue - look forward to reading your replies Gill
Tania Waller
Sep 15 2010 4:16PM
It might be worth asking our professional body to clarify this for us - perhaps in the Embody magazine, so everyone is clear about requirements. Interesting point raised.

TANIA
Gillian Kenyon
Sep 15 2010 5:25PM
As an Trainer of First Aid Instructors and HSE Workplace FIrst Aid Training Facility - I can advise that First Aid is NOT medical training.

Every GP has to update his First Aid every year just as the HSE Legislation and Approved Code of Prcatice says those who have a need for workplace First Aid Training do. This training is exactly the same whether you be a GP or not but it does not entitle you to any claim of medical training.

Similarly, the A&P training Therapists do does not equip them with medical skills, diagnostic skills etc etc. albeit that human bodies tend to have similar A&P profiles as a healthy norm. In the United Kingdom, a typical medicine course at university is 5 years or 4 years if the student already holds a degree. Amongst some institutions and for some students, it may be 6 years (including the selection of an intercalated BSc—taking one year—at some point after the pre-clinical studies). All programs culminate in the Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery degree (abbreviated MB BChir, BM BCh, MB BCh, MB ChB, BM BS, MB BS etc.). This is followed by 2 clinical foundation years afterwards, namely F1 and F2 similar to internship training. Students register with the UK General Medical Council at the end of F1. At the end of F2, they may pursue further years of study.

I have been practising and studying Therapies for well in excess of a decade and know I don't have the level of knowledge about medicine that a GP does. On the other hand, I don't know of any GP that has the same level of knowledge about Complementary Therapies that I do.

On the other hand, I do know that there are a lot og GP's, nurses, dentists and Therapists who also don;t have the same high level of First Aid knowledge that I do either.

We should be encouraging co-operation and understanding and sharing of knowledge not trying to do each other's jobs. I always say prevention is better than cure. A lot of Complementary Therapies can be used to enhance or maintain Health & Wellbeing. Medicine is there to remedy ill health.

If we could get acceptance of promotion of Health & Wellbeing , rather than a focus on 'medical cures' then there would be less need for massive numbers of GP's, nurses, medicine suppliers etc and less pull on the NHS budget which could be better focussed on unplanned events over which we have no control, ie accidents and emergencies.
Dawn Spragg
Sep 22 2010 10:32PM
I do not know where the Hippocratic oath comes in to this but I do know of enlightened NHS hospitals ,GP practices, Clinics pre-natal facilities, practices and hospices who regularly refer to complementary therapist and utilise their unique skills to assist their patients. Two of my local GP surgeries have a resident chiropractor and also allow me to put my information in there surgery for clients. I myself a therapist of over 15 years have worked for a hospice a BUPA home, attend and assist with my clients pain/stress relief during labour and am made very welcome at NHS hospitals by midwives and nurses alike who more and more are lering some of the complementary therapy skills themselves, I also have 3 GPs as clients on my books.
It is about professional complementary therapists and the NHS working together for the good of the patient.
finally one of the rolls of the CNHC who are funded by the Department of Health was to have tried to bridge the gap between the NHS and the complementary practice sector by ensuring that the therapists on their listing were fully qualified professionals, though this unfortunately seems to be falling flat on its face at the moment we can only hope they may truly pick up the baton for the future.
Alla Cranham
Sep 26 2011 12:43AM
Not sure what means 'medical training' but we run postgraduate training courses in Homeopathic Mesotherapy which is the therapy developed in France by Dr. Pistor that includes shallow multiple microinjections of homeopathic medicines over the skin area of a dermatome or into acupuncture points. This therapy is used for pain management, visceral organ detoxification or for facial skin rejuvenation, as well as for cellulite and fat pads reduction. The minimal entry requirements for applicants: qualification either in classic or complex homeopathy, nutrition, acupuncture, dry needling, osteopathy, chiropractic, physiotherapy. beauty therapist with NVQ level 3 accepted with 'passed' results on obligatory entry examination. See the Course Prospectus for more detailed information on www.invivohealthandbeauty.co.uk under 'Training' on the left menu 'Aesthetic Homeopathic Mesotherapy Foundation Level Course'. Indemnity insurance cover cost for qualified homeomesotherapists is around £300 per annum under 'middle risk therapy' with Balens Insurance or Professional Beauty Direct.
Any questions - please call my mobile 07736147458 at any time.
Alla Cranham.
Stephanie Boyd
Jan 21 2012 1:07PM
They just mean you need to have completed training in an evidence based subject and be a member of either the GMC or the HPC. These professions have protected titiles that ensure to the medical community that you have completed the correct training. It is illegal for any person to use a protected title if they have not qualified in that profession. This is compared to all complementary therapies that carry no legal risk of punishment, and no legal obligation to complete adaquate training. I know most people do, but you can see how its not as secure.....

Furthermore, in the NHS no medical practitioner is allowed to endorse any brand or practitioner specifically and that includes private services such as a specific complementary therapist. They are also not allowed to advise patients to use any treatment that does not have sufficient evidence for effiacy for a certain condition, the NICE guidelines is what guides the GP's and medical practitioners on this.

As a therapist if you are contracted by the NHS to provide certain therapies then the GP could refer patients to you. This would however require you to complete formal training in a medical subject: examples being: nurse, physiotherapist, doctor, Osteopath, Radiologist, Podiatrist. If you wish to do this training it requires 3 years of University study with more than 1500 hours of in service full time placements within NHS hospitals... A further 2 years of paid in-service clinical rotations usually follows. Most of these courses are funded by the NHS and you get a small bursery to help with living expenses.

Hope this helps,

Post Reply |

| Back Up to Therapy Lecturers Association