Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Amanda Clegg, Jan 11 2006 9:00AM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

Daily Telegraph 2for1 offer

I've signed up for this, & would be really interested in hearing about other participants' views/experience. Will it give a boost to our client base - does this type of client then keep coming back? I took part in the BABTAC/Hovis similar offer a couple of years ago, with limited success - both clients admitted that they were only interested in the freebie and have not returned. (Given my good track record with keeping clients I am fairly sure it wasn't my fault!)
Anna Maria Mazzieri
Feb 3 2006 10:19AM
Hi amanda,

I personally think the all EMBODY launch is great and I already had a good response from the Telegraph offer. it is just what our industry needed, raising profile for health and beauty therapy and the look of advertising campaign is like no others before.

If the clients who participate in the offer will not come back straight away for follow up treatments, this does not mean that the advertising has failed, they might not want that therapy themselves but they might recommended to friends and family and if someone in the future is interested in having a treatment, you can be sure they will go for the name they recognise and associate with a big nationally recognisable logo as EMBODY, they read in their paper.

I am embracing these changes and get really excited about them because we are no more single practicing therapists in our own clinic and towns, but part too of a broader network that is definitely making an impact in the field of complementary health.

So I hope you get a good response to the offer, and enjoyed being part of it.
Anna
Valerie Bush
Apr 12 2006 4:29PM
Hi Amanda

The 2for1 offer has been and gone! I was just wondering what your experience has been, do you think it was worth participating?

I had a lot of response, but as a mobile therapist found it a bit disheartening travelling home from the second (free) treatment without being paid!

I hope you had a positive experience, and lets hope our new clients keep coming back for more

Val
Amanda Clegg
Apr 12 2006 6:36PM
Hi Val

I've actually been lucky enough to get all my responses to come to me - I am able to work from home as well, and try to offer the mobile to ill or invalid clients only. However, it occurs to me that the travel charge shouldn't necessarily have been on a 2 4 1 basis - I don't recall reading any rules about that. I charge between £5 and £8 extra depending on the journey, with a min 1hr booking time.

Yes the 2nd free has been a bit dispiriting sometimes, especially as it's all quite hard work! however, I suppose if you caculate the spend, it's not much more than a concerted ad campaign might be, without all the timewasters! It would be interesting if the Telegraph did a follow up in say 6 months to see how many clients had remained. I've had some repeat bookings, so hopefully a they will become regulars.

On balance, I probably would do it again.

cheers
Amanda
Elizabeth Farrow
May 5 2006 8:20PM
HI AMANDA.

I READ YOUR COMMENTS WITH INTEREST AND THOSE OF THE OTHERS MEMBERS WHO TOOK PART.

MOST OF MY CLIENTS CAME TO ME WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE WHO WERE ELDERLEY OR DISABLED. BUT YOU ARE QUITE RIGHT ABOUT ANY EXPENSES, WHICH THE SECOND VISIT MAY INCUR - LEAVING YOU EXHAUSTED AND FEELING DEFLATED.

IT PROBABLY WOULD BE PRUDENT TO CONSIDER STATING AT THE ONSET THAT THE CHARGE IS FOR THE THERAPY ONLY AND CHARGE FOR THE TRAVEL AS AN ADDITIONAL EXPENSE. MANY THERAPISTS WHO OFFER A MOBILE SERVICE IN COMPETITION TO THE SALONS AND PRACTICES MAY FEEL COMPELLED TO OFFER A CHEAPER SERVICE TO SECURE BOOKINGS. HOWEVER, MANY SHOPS ARE LOCATED ON FIRST FLOORS, WHICH IS NOT ACCESSIBLE TO THOSE WITH A DISSABILITY, ESPECIALLY IN THE LIGHT OF THE NEW REGULATION. MANY PEOPLE WOULD LIKE A TREATMENT AT HOME SO THEY CAN ENJOY THE EXPERIENCE IN THE COMFORT OF THEIR OWN SURROUNDINGS, WITHOUT WORRYING ABOUT PARKING, PARKING COSTS AND ANY ADDITIONAL WALKING RAISING THEIR STRESS LEVELS!!!

OFFERING DOMICILLARY VISITS IS A SERVICE MANY PRACTICES AND SALONS ARE UNABLE TO OFFER TO DON'T BE AFRAID TO CHARGE THE GOING RATE PLUS YOUR EXPENSES.

FINALLY, I AM WONDERING IF THE CONDITIONS COULD HAVE BEEN OPEN TO INTERPRETATION AND IT WAS PROBABLY UP TO US THERAPISTS TO FOLLOW THE 2 FOR 1 OFFER CONDITIONS IN THE CONTEXT OF OUR OWN PRACTICE RULES AND REGUALATIONS. FOR EXAMPLE I HAD MANY CLIENTS 'COMING FOR A TREATMENT WITH A FRIEND' WAITING FOR EACH OTHER TO HAVE THEIR TREATMENTS, WHICH HAD ENOURMOUS IMPLICATIONS. AFTER THE FIRST FEW TIMES, WHICH WAS SOMETHING OF A LEARNING CURVE I STOPPED THAT ON THE GROUNDS OF
PRIVACY & CONFIDENTIALITY
HEALTH AND SAFETY
AND CONDITIONS OF MY PRACTICE.

ONE WAY ROUND THE TWO TREATMENTS I FOUND WORKED VERY WELL WAS OFFERING TWO TREATMENTS, WHICH WORKED WELL TOGETHER. FOR EXAMPLE AN INDIAN HEAD AND A REFLEXOLOGY TREATMENT OR AN AROMATHERAPY AND A FOOT MASSAGE. THIS MEANT LESS TOWELS WERE USED AND OTHER RESCOURCES AND IT ENABLED ME TO REALLY GET TO KNOW THE CLIENTS. INTERESTINGLY THEY WERE THE ONES WHO HAVE ALL RE-BOOKED TO SEE ME AGAIN.

BEST WISHES TO ALL OF YOU HARDWORKING THERAPISTS AND I LOOK FORWARD TO ANY FEEDBACK.

ELIZABETH FARROW BSC
Pamela Dean
May 18 2006 4:08PM
Hi All,
The Telegraph promotion gave me the kick I needed to start my massage business, having qualified 6 years ago! I had a good response and my client feedback was so positive it really gave me confidence, especially since several clients were used to massage and one had been a therapist herself. I am very lucky to have a large home so another spare bedroom was redecorated to produce a pleasant waiting room, which also proved a useful area to take initial consultation details and to make further appointments after treatments. So far, only one of my clients requires a home visit, due to mobility problems, and she is more than happy to pay an extra £5.00 towards costs. In fact she could not believe that I was not going to be getting paid anything upon redemption of the voucher and tried to give me more money, which of course I refused nicely! Luckily, I did not experience the "deflated or exhausted" feelings after a double booking, possibly due to the fact that one couple only had 1/2hr sessions each and the other couple was booked with no other massages before or after. However, I think the expression on my clients faces of happiness and relaxation rejuvenate me as much as the treatments do them.

At least half of my clients have stayed with me, which I consider a good percentage considering some of the initial people had to travel some distance.

I believe Embody no longer has a publicity department, which is a great shame because if the promotion material was anything to go by, they did a fantastic job in promoting Embody as a professional organisation.

Pam Dean

Gillian Kenyon
Sep 15 2007 2:04PM
The first 2 for 1 promotion was indeed hugely successful. However, subsequent 2 for 1 promotions have been totally un-successful as far as we are concerned - they simply haven't generated the client enquiries - let alone follow up business.

That being said, we will be signing up to more 2 for 1 promotions as we see this as the way forward in promotion schemes - at least you get paid SOMETHING - not like the myrriad of fully FREE 'introduction' promotions being run by many incentives companies (and a number of unscrupulous therapists who we have found are taking all the money from the corporation being promoted at an exhibition/event and asking fellow practitioners to work for nothing!).

It does cost money to promote yourself, and vast costs are incurred in marketing, publicity, administration etc to set up any incentive scheme. However, at The H Club, we have noticed that it always seems to be the therapists who are doing the FREE work at the end of the day. Our aim at The H Club is to try to change this situation from within. We believe that 2 for 1 promotions are the equivalent of 2x 50% off promotions or BOGOFF's - buy one get one free - the latest in supermarket product marketing.

The H Club is built of a registered membership of over 80 independent practitioners. It is a virtual Health Club !. We do have a modest annual membership fee to help spread the costs of what we do across as many people as possible - keeping them manageable for everyone. As a coalition of co-operating practitioners we assist members to enhance their business opportunities and expertise and to help them to promote their treatments to clients.

We are a club of wellbeing practitioners, formed for wellbeing practitioners and run by wellbeing practitioners. All of our members are professionally qualified and insured and have the satisfaction of being part of a marketing group that is working each and every day to find ways to promote their businesses nation-wide.

The H Club actively markets the services of all participating members who ask to be included in our promotional programmes. These range from targeted leafletting campaigns, attendance at exhibitions and shows where we promote our member’s products and services, e-mail promotions, internet and web-directory promotions, events participation, publicity activity and much much more. It takes huge amounts of time but by working together co-operatively, members of our group are beginning to make in-roads into the promotions markletplace and are starting to counter the 'FREEBIE' culture imposed upon us by those highly paid incentives companies and marketing promotions houses.

We now have sufficient numbers of practitioners across the UK to find ourselves being approached by a number of marketing organisations who help us generate new client opportunities and afford us the means to offer a 'FREE' service coupled with an opportunity to charge for an additional service or, the alternative of a 2 for 1 offer. Either way round, we are encouraging ALL voucher scheme organisers, incentives companies and marketing companies with whom we work to ensure that we get some form of payment opportunity for our services.

In addition, we are also encouraging them to recognise that whilst the 'black market' practitioners may be charging suicidally low rates, as professional practitioners with businesses to run and mouths to feed, we will NOT work for fees or at rates that cannot sustain our business long term. At this time, our standard hourly list price for an hours work starts at £44 - far from the £30-£35 that most college lecturers are telling newly qualified people to charge, or the £20-£30 that is common amongst black-market and 'cash-in-hand' practitioners who are working solely for pin money.

From the safety and security viewpoint, The H Club also puts the practitioners first. The H Club runs a client matching service for all client enquiries. We screen client calls, gain full client address and contact details and ensure that age and medical conditions are identified up front. Members with appropriate skills, local to the client are identified and contacted to ascertain availability and skills match. Members are then passed the client contact details and make appropriate arrangements for the appointment directly with the client - each practitioner being able to agree the minimum space and confidentiality requirements that they consider necessary or pertinent. We always reserve the right for a member practitioner to refuse to treat a client or redeem a voucher - without having to give our reasons. The costs and risks of working from home or working mobile are thus reduced - fewer no shows, better conversion rates; less risk to safety and greater confidence that each client will be given the best treatment we can give - encouraging them to re-book each and every time.

If anyone wants to know more about how we work and what we do, please contact us with your questions at: TheHClub@Hotmail.com
Gillian Kenyon
May 16 2008 6:13PM
Please take a look at www.TheHClub.org.uk and get in touch if you are interested. Contact details on the site.

Post Reply |

| Back Up to Request a Forum