Complementary Therapists Association - Forums
Posted by Annalisa Zisman, Oct 7 2011 8:24PM

Please do not use forums to advertise courses.

Forums Disclaimer

Time to S-T-R-E-T-C-H - SUNDAY 20th NOVEMBER, SW15

The first meeting of the academic year for the South West London group was an awesome event with fantastic attendance, with everyone enthusiastic to meet our Guest speaker Glenda Taylor, Founder of Balm Balm and a renowned Aromatherapist.

Glenda started the evening sharing her passion and knowledge with us for what is "Purely 100% Organic" before talking about the attributes of carrier oils , aromatherapy oils , blending and Balm Balm . Glenda highlighted to members that they are not insured to use pre blended oils unless this been accompanied by training. Glenda will be launching an exciting new course Certificate in Organic Blends and Product Knowledge which has generated a huge interest and likely to sell out very quickly. To book this course go to:

http://www.inspiremassageworkshops.co.uk/certificate-in-organic-blends-product-knowledge.asp

Glenda was also excited to talk about another Course for Massage Therapists, the Certificate in 100% Organic Facials, more details will be available very soon.

To the delight of the members Glenda brought with her lots of samples of lovely Mandarin , Ylang Ylang, Lemon grass and many more and a selection of Balm Balm products. The atmosphere was fantastic as the members shared their excitement there was lots of spraying and smelling samples and many questions answered. At the end of the evening everyone went home with a lovely FREE Balm Balm product.

NEXT MEETING

It's time to S-T-R-E-T-C-H! A series of stretches to help therapists relax, unwind and recharge.
A fabulous opportunity to meet and learn from Annalisa Zisman, CTHA Regional Co-ordinater for Greater London with 21 years experience in the health and fitness industry.
Please wear comfortable clothing and bring something to lie down on. An event NOT to be missed so RSVP -07790 022128 BY TEXT to be part of the action as places are limited.

Sunday 20th November 6.30pm-8.30pm
Venue: Roehampton Univerity,SW15
Topic "Time to S-T-R-E-T-C-H"
Directions to venue will be posted soon.
Alison Emery
Oct 7 2011 8:33PM
Hi there,

Unfortunately I was not able to make the meeting at which Glenda gave a talk. I read in your summary of the meeting that she informed members that they were not insured to use pre blended oils unless they had had training. This is news to me. Can you let me know what kind of training is required. I was lead to believe that unless you were an aromatherapist you could not blend your own oils to use on clients but that you could use preblended. I thought that was the point. Is there any way of getting some clarification on this please.

Thanks, alison
Annalisa Zisman
Oct 7 2011 8:46PM
Hi
Thanks for your post.
The insurance policy offered by the CThA does not cover pre blended oils or blending without training.
This training can either be product linked such as the course offered by Glenda covering nine 100% Organic oils and Balms or a full Aromatherapoy diploma if you want to blend your own or use any pre blended range.
Aromatherapy oils have powerful properties and contraindications and without training can't be used effectively.
I myself experienced this when going for a treatment and coming out in a painful and itchy rash due to an allergic reaction to one of the essential oils in the blend.

If you want me to talk this through further then feel free to call me on 07790022128

Kind reagrds
Annalisa Zisman
CThA Regional Co-ordinator - Greater London
Annalisa Zisman
Oct 7 2011 8:47PM
Excuse the couple of typos!
Jacqueline Thomas
Oct 7 2011 9:03PM
I have always been aware that I cannot blend essential oils for massage (and could not unless I qualified as an Aromatherapist), but that it is perfectly OK for me to use a pre-blended oil for clients. I have used pre-blended oils for years and am somewhat surprised to read this tonight. Jackie Thomas
Annalisa Zisman
Oct 7 2011 9:09PM
This has always been the case with the CThA insurance policy and I totally agree with it.
As therapists we do not have the knowledge to use pre blended oils as we do not have the safety data covered in our training. Some essential oils in pre blends are not suited to certain clients and it is important that we stick within our core competance as therapists.
Jacqueline Thomas
Oct 8 2011 9:49AM
I think we need clarification from Holistic Services Insurance on this. I've read the paragraph on page 5 under 'General Policy Memorandum' but I would like it translated into plain English! It reads:

"2. It is noted and agreed that the insurance provided by this Policy extends to include:
a) cover for practitioners who are not qualified to mix and blend products but use in the course of treatments, proprietary branded base oils and/or talcum powder and/or creams and/or wipes provided such products are used in accordance with the Manufacturers' instructions."

It is rather ambiguous so I will ask Holistic Services to clarify if this actually means we can use pre-blended oils or only use base oils.

I have left a message on their answerphone, so no doubt it will be Monday before they contact me. The 24-hour legal advice helpline don't have anybody who can interpret the policy.

This is obviously a very important point as I have no doubt that many members who are not qualified Aromatherapists are using pre-blended oils and if we're not covered then we need to know.

Regards
Jackie Thomas
Jacqueline Thomas
Oct 8 2011 9:49AM
I think we need clarification from Holistic Services Insurance on this. I've read the paragraph on page 5 under 'General Policy Memorandum' but I would like it translated into plain English! It reads:

"2. It is noted and agreed that the insurance provided by this Policy extends to include:
a) cover for practitioners who are not qualified to mix and blend products but use in the course of treatments, proprietary branded base oils and/or talcum powder and/or creams and/or wipes provided such products are used in accordance with the Manufacturers' instructions."

It is rather ambiguous so I will ask Holistic Services to clarify if this actually means we can use pre-blended oils or only use base oils.

I have left a message on their answerphone, so no doubt it will be Monday before they contact me. The 24-hour legal advice helpline don't have anybody who can interpret the policy.

This is obviously a very important point as I have no doubt that many members who are not qualified Aromatherapists are using pre-blended oils and if we're not covered then we need to know.

Regards
Jackie Thomas
Annalisa Zisman
Oct 8 2011 10:04AM
I have discussed this at length with Alison Livings who heads up insurance at Holistic Insurance Services which is where the information comes from.
This was why Glenda and myself set up the Organic blends product knowledge training so that therapists cd be covered to use a high quality 100% organic set of oils and balms.
Jacqueline Thomas
Oct 10 2011 3:52PM
I have now had a conversation with Gemma at Holistic Services Insurance and she confirms that therapists who do not hold an Aromatherapy qualification are not covered to use pre-blended oils. She agreed that the wording could be clearer.

I called the CThA and spoke to Vilas and advised her that I felt we needed more clarification on this subject and she asked me to e-mail her with the full details and she would pass this on to a senior member of staff. She also agreed that the wording in the insurance policy was not terribly clear. I have e-mailed her with the details as agreed.

I have also checked the information in my original VTCT Level 3 Certificate in Swedish Massage and under the heading 'Quality of Medium' it states and I quote "pre-mixed massage oils are available. These will have pre-selected aromatherapy essential oils added to a base oil to either 'soothe and relax' or to 'revive and stimulate". When I was newly qualified and worked in a salon, the salon used three different blended oils and all massage therapists were asked to use only those.

Whilst I understand that you are keen to recommend a course with a particular individual, Annalisa, my concern would be that members (of the CThA) could pay for such a course and be qualified/insured to use those particular blended oils but what happens if they choose to use another brand? Surely, we cannot be expected to pay for a course for each manufacturer? What would happen if the ingredients were changed after a certain amount of time? Would it be necessary to attend another course and pay again? I think all these points need to be clearly explained to all members and I look forward to hearing the viewpoint of the CThA in due course.

Kind regards

Jackie Thomas

Annalisa Zisman
Oct 10 2011 4:46PM
Hi
Thanks for your reply and acknowledgment regarding therapists not being insured to use pre belnded oils.
I had been approached by many therapists requesting a way of being able to use high quality 100% organic oils and balms without the need to do a full Aromatherapy Diploma. It was based on this that I approached and have worked with Balm Balm to produce the Certificate in Organic Blends product Knowledge that will be accepted by Holistic Insurance Services. This course covers in depth the knowledge necessary to use and select suitable base products, understand labels and gain an insight in to the importance of safety when using products blended with Essential oils. It then covers the 9 specific oils and balms in detail to enable you to use them effectively with clients. Any product developments will be distributed by email to keep therapists up to date and the range has been designed to ensure a wide ranging suitability for clients needs.
The facial training will offer therapists the same opportunity to do an Organic facial with products that are 100% natural helping therapists offer a valuable service whislt expanding their client base and offering additional services.
Therapists do have the choice to stay using base products only but I know that in a climate where clients are wanting 'added value' therapists need to respond to this by having a unique selling points. Using 100% Organic pre blended products is just one way of doing this.
You may like to come and visit the Balm Balm stand or discuss this with the CThA at Camexpo if you are available. Kind Regards

Annalisa
Alison Emery
Oct 12 2011 12:59PM
Hi again,

Whilst I am aware and agree that it is important that therapists work within their own competencies I also agree with Jackie that it is very limiting to spend £140 on a course that will only permit you to buy and use products from one place. Surely there must be a more generic course that therapists can do to allow them to choose what pre blended oils or waxes they use. I have spoken to the FHT who have told me that their insurance does cover therapists to use pre blended oils and waxes. When my premimum is due for a renewal I will strongly consider transfering my insurance to them or another provider.
Jacqueline Thomas
Oct 12 2011 3:26PM
Hi Alison,
Yes, I too spoke to the FHT and they confirmed I would still be covered to use pre-blended oils if I was still a member with them and had their insurance. I have now written to the CThA (after a conversation with Vilas in the office) explaining this issue as she recommended this is passed on to a senior member of staff. I have also e-mailed the Marketing Dept of CThA as I read Kush Kumar's comments on confusion over CThA approved training courses in the September Newsletter and I feel strongly that we need clarification on this insurance issue. I am now in a position where I will use only base oils now I have been informed I am not covered to use pre-blended oils under my current insurance policy, but I will seriously consider my future professional membership and insurance, as I believe I would have to leave the CThA and re-join the FHT to have their insurance and be covered for using pre-blended oils (without having to pay for any further training). I also believe it isn't just you and I, Alison, who were surprised to learn we weren't covered for pre-blended oils - there must be many more therapists who aren't aware of this condition as it is so unclear in the policy.
Best wishes
Jackie
Jacqueline Thomas
Nov 9 2011 11:17PM
I now have a reply, by e-mail, from the CThA, as follows:-

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 10:47 AM, CThA Administration <info@ctha.com> wrote:

"Hi Jackie,

Sorry for the delay in replying. The experts have responded to the following

This is not intended for the use of any essential oils without training. It states “proprietary branded base oils” most of which will have been covered in all massage qualifications. We will provide cover for the use of pre-blended oils containing essential oils provided that they have been on a training course and that they only use that brand of pre blended oils e.g Aromatherapy Associates, Neals Yard.

The other option is for the client to bring their own pre-blended oils and for the consent form to state that they understand that the therapist is not qualified in aromatherapy and as such can give no advice as to the use of essential oils. Use of the oil is on the instruction of the client."

I have now asked for further clarification from Vilas at the CThA that the final two points will be clearly stated in the Holistic Services Insurance policy as these are not mentioned in my documents. I also feel that the the first paragraph of General Policy Memorandum, Item 2 a) is not clearly worded. This appears on Page 5 of the insurance policy.

Having discussed this with other therapists and the FHT, I am aware that I would be covered to use pre-blended oils (as I always was in the past) if I was a member of the FHT and had their insurance again. I would not have to pay for any further training, as this was covered in my original VTCT Swedish Massage course at Guildford College.

Kind regards
Jackie Thomas

Post Reply |

| Back Up to Guildford Networking Hub