ctha Logo

Complementary Therapists Association

Members Sign in  |  OR Join Today

Posted by: Amy Law-use p57110, 14 Sep 2010 6:47PM
Please do not use the forums to advertise courses.

Massage License

I've just graduated from level 3 body massage with City & Guilds and there are two options I like to try out, mobile therapist and hiring a room at a premises. How does it work with regards to massage licenses as a mobile therapist who will be travelling from one county to the next?


Jeanette Bean
14 Sep 2010 7:24PM

Hi Amy I work from home and my Licence is for massage and special treatments. I have to renew this every year and pay the same as any salon in the area does even though there is only me here and they could have many therapists in their salons. It was explained to me that for this area if I was mobile I wouldn't need a licence, but do to work at home, although if I moved either way to the next county I would just need to let the council know I am working from home and wouldn't need the licence, which goes up £10.00-£20.00 anualy. Apparently it is the building were massage is taking place that needs the licence, this year it cost me £187.00. Going by my own experience your best bet is contacting each council, environmental health to see if it is applicable to that area. I hope this helps
Amy Law-use p57110
14 Sep 2010 7:45PM

Thanks Jeanette. I will ring the councils and find out to double check. :-)
Amanda Clegg
14 Sep 2010 11:39PM

Slightly confused about licenses - where - geographically - are you working? If UK, what license is this?
Amy Law-use p57110
15 Sep 2010 12:24AM

As a mobile therapist I will be travelling around London and Essex.
Amanda Clegg
15 Sep 2010 7:57AM

My point is - why do you need to be licensed, and by whom? Unless I have totally missed out on a very important piece of legislation, we are not required to be licensed, and in the UK, county boundaries are not an issue except for refuse collection and council tax etc. Obviously insurance is required, but that does not constitute a license to practice.
Amanda Clegg
15 Sep 2010 7:59AM

Sorry - hit post too early! I am only talking about mobile and working from home - I don't use a salon premises. But I would have thought that the premises issue is a question of planning consents for retail use.
Gillian Kenyon
15 Sep 2010 10:23AM

Jeanette Bean
15 Sep 2010 11:39AM

Hi, I don't want to go off the track here but it was due to my training for body massage etc. back in 1999, that I was informed like anyone going through training to check with your local council to see if licencing applies to your area. At that time it was explained due to having public entering my premises due to working from home that I needed a licence for body massage and special treatments. Although I still dissagree that I pay the same price for one room in my home compared to a salon full of therapists again it is the premises. This covers a yearly inspection to check health and safety to check client records are correctly stored etc. this part I completely agree on to ensure public are safe and we are qualified in what we say we are because they have a copy of our certificates. This again ensures we are qualified and not just set up a business from going on a short course for personal use. I cover aromatherapy, body massage, India head massage, lymphatic drainage massage, reflexology and reiki. I enquired where the special treatment came into my profession, apparently anyone using needles would be under special treatment but in my profession we use essential oils etc. within the therapies therefore it puts it under the special treatment part, I hope this makes sense when reading. The only thing that I suppose get's to me a bit is why in some areas you have to have this and pay and other areas you don't depending on the council and licensing department, shouldn't this go across the board no matter what council you fall into. We are either licenced to protect the general public or we are not it shoudn't come down to local councils, it should go right across the board one way or another to stop confussion to newly qualifying therapist's and tutor's that teach the subjects to enable them to clearly give the correct information to students during training. Part of the cost for the licence is for a police check on you to ensure there isn't any problems that you haven't declaired and obviously this cost's us. Out of the £187.00 I paid this year it isn't broken down to who gets what out of that which is probably why we pay the same as salons. When you first qualify, you think along with the general public that we are going to earn a certain amount of money, what you don't realise is when you take the insurance, register, licence, products, washing etc. out of this you are left eraning very little or in some cases nothing, but we take it on the chin because we love the work we do.
Log In to Post Reply

© 2020 Membership Administration Services Ltd All Rights Reserved