ctha Logo

Complementary Therapists Association

Members Sign in  |  OR Join Today

Posted by: , 27 Apr 2010 3:40PM
Please do not use the forums to advertise courses.

using qualifactions 12 years on?

I trained at city of bath college in 1998 in holistic therapy and beauty therapy on a three year programme. I was ITEC and IBTC (?) and IHTC (?) certified....need to get cetifcates from loft to check qualifications..... I practised until 2001 and then have since only used skills on friends and family and self... I am looking now to work on a self employed basises. Can you give me any advice on where I get insurance, and any assocaitions I need to join in order to be qulaified to work? Many thanks Anna Jones


Linda Donaldson
28 Apr 2010 6:02AM

Hi Anna The best thing to do is copy and paste this link http://www.ctha.com/Jointoday/ into your browser and join The Complementary Therapists Association (CThA) who is the leading professional organisation representing complementary therapists in the UK and Ireland. They offer members professional help with: Advice on specific therapy questions, setting up and running a successful business, Taxation, legal matters both business and personal, counselling, health and safety advice and customer care and where you will get discounted insurance that will provide you with the appropriate insurance. I can also recommend a company called Simon Jersey who provide corporate clothing. www.simonjersey.com or telephone 08444 994414 8am-6pm Monday-Friday. Lastly when you join CThA you will be sent a Magazine which I have just received Springs copy and is full of information and helpfull advice and where I got details to buy Aromatherapy oils at a great price: www.salonserve.com I hope this helps and wish you the very best in your new business. Kind regards Linda
The good thing about your qualifications is that they are from QCA (Qualification and Curriculum Authority) approved awarding bodies. No matter when you complete properly accredited courses they hold their value because they are to real national vocational standards. Most complementary health bodies of any quality should welcome you with such qualifications and most have block insurance policies that may be cheaper than arranging individual insurance - for example the SHTC block policies all provide a discount to members because of the reduced threat of meeting certain membership standards. The CMTHA policy is one of the same providers and again is cheaper than most others out there because membership means adhering to standards that reduce risk to the public. I would suggest reviewing the National Occupational Standards for your therapies, which have probably been updated since you trained and are the good practice standards for the industry. The CMTHA would be a suitable "home" for you professionally, and the yearly CPD assessment allows you to consider updating your qualifications and keeping them current, although the core of the qualifications are of course their accredited and appropriate certification by the awarding bodies. Kind regards Stuart - CMTHA member and SHTC Director
Amanda Clegg
6 Jun 2010 11:38PM

Please do go on some day schools to update your techniques, especially if doing massage, as even since I trained 8 yrs ago (been professional since then) methods have changed significantly in order to protect the physique of the therapist. After 8 yrs I have significant arthritis in one thumb and have had to adapt to prevent further injury. Try to find courses run by sports-therapy tutors who are also trained in physiotherapy - Jane Johnson who teaches at Natural Health School in Esher is brilliant, as is Nikki Lee at Elysium in Newbury. Probably others but I've been on many day schools with Jane & Nikki so can recommend them.
Log In to Post Reply

© 2020 Membership Administration Services Ltd All Rights Reserved