ctha Logo

Complementary Therapists Association

Members Sign in  |  OR Join Today

Posted by: , 27 Aug 2010 11:02AM
Please do not use the forums to advertise courses.

Where to start?

I'm currently working freelance as a designer, but have been thinking about changing careers for quite some time now. Ideally I'd like to work towards a role as a complementary therapist, am looking at massage specifically. Timings have never been perfect, but it looks like within the next couple of months I'll be able to make the move and start training. It would be really great if somebody might be able to advise me as to the 'best' way to start out - courses? Based on a some research I've been doing, I've found quite a few mentions of the Level 3 Diploma in Anatomy, Physiology and Pathology - is this a good place to begin? I live in London, and so if anyone can recommend a good course provider too that would be a bonus! Thanks in advance Sophie x


Alexandra Gibson
28 Aug 2010 6:57PM

Hi Sophie, I live up north! My qualifications VTCT Level 3 Diploma in Anatomy & Physiology, Swedish Massage and Indian Head Massage, I am hoping to start in September VTCT Level 3 Diploma in Complimentary Therapy, which will include reflexology and aromatherapy massage along with A&P and pathology. You could go to your nearest college they will no doubt help you, there are also universities that do courses in complimentary / holistic therapies. VTCT also have a website you could go on line and have a read of that. I have to say it's the best thing I have ever done and wished I had done 15 years ago when I first wanted to!! Would have been well established now but maybe my time is now just like you,I ghet so much from helping people and making them feel good, the only thing is there is a saturation in the market of therapists but stick it out if you are good you will get the clientelle or the job. Best of luck for your future prospects. Alex
Julie Egginton
29 Aug 2010 7:21PM

Hi Sophie, Another exam board is ITEC. At present they do most of their courses in modules and A&P is an absolute requirement for all of their complementary therapies. This can usually be done at the same time as studying for massage. If you visit their website www.itecworld.com they have details of their approved schools as well as details of what will be studied in the course, what case studies will need to be done etc. Once you start your case studies you will need student insurance, and CThA will be able to help you there. Best wishes. Julie
Dawn Spragg
12 Sep 2010 7:15PM

ITEC is the way to go the. ITEC massage diploma e takes 1 year and gives you all the training you require to start your journey as a complementary therapist. I teach ITEC massage for Merton Adult Education at Whatley Avenue SW20. The course starts in 2 weeks so do hurry. You may be eligible for full funding depending on your employment status. Call 0208 543 9292 if you are interested and book an advice and guidance session. Or look up ITEC on line http://www.itecworld.co.uk/uk_qualifications/Diplomas.aspx?k=156 This will give you all the info and then you can find a local college to you via this site. Hope this helps and good luck
Log In to Post Reply

© 2019 Membership Administration Services Ltd All Rights Reserved